Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Getting To Know You

Before we got to the school, I was having thoughts about how the students were going to be and made myself nervous. Once I got there and started interacting with the kids, I was fine within the first few minutes. Children are so happy and full of life that it makes it easy to be happy and want to be around them. I played with the girls in the house center in the first classroom I was in for a long time. We had a picnic and ate food together. It fascinates me the amount of interest children have in playing "house" at that age, even the boys. There was another group of girls I colored with and one girl drew me a very nice picture of a dog! I read the same book to a girl two times and had her interact with me by reading the book back. In the gymnasium, the students played red light green light, which only kept their attention span for a short amount of time. Not all of the students wanted to participate, especially a group of girls who insisted on only hoola hooping. We then integrated the hoola hoop interest into a race game where three students were inside each hoop and they raced from one line to the other. Although the kids thought they were racing themselves, there was always a college student holding onto one of their hoops. The closing end song was great and getting the sillies out was a great activity! Hopefully next week at lab will be just as succesful! :)

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Lauren. One's first experience in a new environment can be very intimidating, especially when it's with younger children.

    The Pre-K students at St. Mary's are a great group to work with. You can give them any game and they'll be glad to play it. But not for too long because they'll get bored very quickly and want to move on. You've got to be on your toes with them!

    Always make a story out of what you are doing no matter the activity. Young children love when you put a story to what they're playing. Like we did the the hula hoops, the kids weren't racing in hoops they were in space driving their rocket ships. Small things like these make any lesson better.

    Good job and don't worry it gets easier!

    ReplyDelete